mrspdm and I are not joyriders, rubber neckers or people who gloat at the misfortune of others. However, we do enjoy our Sunday drives, which being retired we can now do on any day of the week. Since mid February we have generally stayed well away from the main areas in Hawkes Bay affected by Cyclone Gabrielle on such drives.
Pakowhai Road between Napier and Hastings is a prime example. It is a regular route we have used when travelling between Hastings and Napier but, immediately after the Cyclone our son told us to stay away from it. Eventually, in about mid to late March, we went through it rather than take a lengthier detour. It was sobering to say the least even after the month or more that had passed as we drove through, a trip made longer because of very necessary 50kph speed restrictions and after initial attempts had been made on clean ups.
Late last week mrspdm had coffee with a long time friend, who with her partner owned an orchard in the Brookfields/Meanee area. They were between the Tutaekuri River and no more than 500 meters from Brookfields Winery which some readers may know of. While I don’t know for sure I think their orchard property bounded the stopbank. She in her early to mid 70’s and her partner early 80’s had to be saved from the roof of their two story house at the peak of flooding. To add insult to injury they were looted about 10 days ago but, fortunately had been able to get in and remove anything salvageable but the looting still distressed them. No way will they be returning to that property.
She asked mrspdm if we had been through the Esk Valley since the Cyclone and was told no as we did not joy ride to gawk at the misfortune of others, especially as we would be very limited with any help we might be able to offer. She said take a drive up Glengarry Road and then back to Napier down SH5 as it would be an eye opener – even 3 months after the Cyclone. As an aside Glengarry Road has long been known as the home of Hawkes Bay’s Nudist Colony.
On Tuesday 9 May we did that trip. Heading out from Taradale to the Puketapu Hotel. As we neared Puketapu damage on both sides of the road was significant with almost new houses totally destroyed – very similar to what wehad seen earlier on Pakowhai Road. We then went through Dartmoor where the Orchard Company our son works for had an Apple Orchard and a Vineyard wiped out. What a mess.
We then turned up hill to get to the start of Glengarry Road and up through there to SH5. A lot of scarring from slips on the hill country on either side of the road but no sign of irrecoverable damage just a lot of hard work to reinstate/repair fences and farm tracks etc. Did anyone see Country Calendar on Sunday 7 May? Patoka and Rissington are a few k’s further on from where we were and that Country Calendar programme is well worth a look.
We arrived on SH5, the Napier/Taupo Highway, about 30k’s out from Napier. The first 5 or 6 k’s were normal driving then we hit about 10 k’s (a guess at actual distance) of utter devastation the like of which I have never seen before or hope to never see again. In some ways it seems inconceivable that a small river that we had picnicked beside several times, including one Christmas Day could wreak such damage. Silt was piled up to and possibly over 2 meters high, yes still there now almost 3 months to the day after the Cyclone hit. I saw a tractor pictured somewhere on the internet this morning, we drove past that tractor which probably had belonged to the Vineyard or Orchard whose fence it was hooked up in on the road boundary. Still there 3 months later!!
What struck me the most was that people working on just about all of the property’s we drove past on our approx 60 kilometre drive through affected areas was that people were largely being left to their own devices to get the clean up done. There have been volunteers and family members out helping but we did not see any indication of a co-ordinated clean up organised and supported by Government Agencies, HB Regional Council and the two local District Councils – not to mention Civil Defence. It is fair to say the Civil Defence was in chaos for the first few days after the Cyclone – I know because we ourselves had two separate confusing experiences with Hastings Civil Defence people.
Of course the Prime Minister and other Cabinet flew in to display their new gumboots, hi viz jackets and say what they thought people wanted to hear – then they vanished never to be seen again. Napier MP Stuart Nash had his self inflicted problems, Tukituki MP Anna Lorck is plain useless on her best days and Meka Whaitiri – need I say more.
Apparently things are going to change very soon. I have it from an impeccable source (I was told this yesterday) that Fulton Hogan and two other big contractors are going going to sign a contract and come in and help with the clean up. I assume the contract is with the government who in their vernacular have `worked apace’ to get this set up – only 3 months after the disaster. My understanding is that Fulton Hogan have been waiting weeks, if not months for the government to get their collective arses into gear – my words not those of the person who told me.
There you have my views of what we saw and the position of the worst hit areas of Hawkes Bay three months after Cyclone Gabrielle. If you have seen the damage what do you think of the situation.
We have friends with orchards and farms up there, devastation is the right word for it and dealing with it is worse now that media, political and public attention has moved on.
If you added photo’s to the article, it would get your message across a lot better. -a picture paints a thousand words.
Pictures are not my forte – plus there are plenty around – just google Cyclone Gabrielle of Hawkes Bay flooding. Most that you see with out the water are relevant and the Country Calendar programme sums what is happening up pretty well. Especially the Rissington and Patoka portions.
Thankyou pdm for the personal viewpoint , I know your province quite well after a familial connection going back over three decades.
I am still struggling to get my head around it all and may well never make it back to see for myself as my world is shrinking around me.
Thankyou again.
I have a daughter living in Napier who we lost contact with so i drove down to see if she needed me – ended up driving around through Manawatu then up Sh2. She was Ok – got back into her home the day I arrived and no damage so pretty lucky.
What I found odd was the poor communication by emergency services. I arrived in Havelock to drive over the bridge by Clive. Wa stopped by a policeman and told no access that day (was Ok as I had someone to stay with). Bur when I asked where the source of emergency information was I was told to try listening to the radio – there was no dedicated frequency for emergency information. And this was at a time when in Napier there was no phones or internet so radio was the only source of information.
I managed to get to my daughter’s place the next day and found I knoew more about what was happening than she did.
If there is a ever a review of the emergency, then communication systems should be on the list – how hard is it to have an agreement with a local frequency to take over in times of emergency so everyone gets tole the right information at the right time.
have since driven down through Esk valley – just a disaster and so sad for the the people affected.
Civil defence got sidelined somewhat by NEMA, and had a reliance on cell phones.
Cell phones are useless if the cell phone towers are out of action, which they were. the ones that had a backup generator were only good until they ran out of fuel, and no-one could get to them.
The only reliable communications available after the floods were HAM radio operators in the area.
Kevin we were lucky. We live in Hastings by Cornwall Park which is very central in the City. We lost power at about 8.30am and it was back on just before 10pm. I am with Spark and had cellphone service right through but mrspdm with 2degrees had no phone for 2 or 3 days – vodafone was worse, out for over a week in some areas.
The Civil Defence situation was compounded by the Head guy being out of town on annual leave – I think he was down south somewhere. With him away there seemed a huge reluctance for anyone to assume a leadership role and get things moving. Probably a case of two many `wannabe’ chiefs looking for glory but none of them prepared to take any responsibility.
We had no damage from the cyclone but about 3 weeks later we had a series of leaks after a downpour. These were in all probability caused by debris from the cyclone being lodged on our roof where we could not see it. This morning we got a quote to fix the damage of just under $5grand. Fortunately we had advised our Insurers straight away so I don’t think we will have any problems there – 23 years in the industry helps although I have been out of it since 2009.
Kevin I meant to say Iam very pleased to hear you daughter came out pretty much unscathed too.
Hopefully pdm the Vodafone connectivity will be much betterer now they have signed up to use Elon’s satellite network, I am not an expert but dealing with zero Spark and dodgy Vodafone at Rakaia Gorge that seems to be what is expected.
GD Vodafone suffered as much as anyone from looters stealing generators.
They and Norwood who sent in 30 odd generators for their clients and apparently had between 15 and 20 stolen.
That was when Nash and other Ministers were saying crime was not a problem.